Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Quantum Leaping

My latest guilty pleasure is watching reruns of Quantum Leap episodes on COZI TV.  The series first aired over 25 years ago and starred Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell.  Pete & I were regular viewers back in the day.  


Why am I into watching these reruns when I don't usually care to watch old rehashed series?  Because they still stand up.  The premise that through Quantum physics Dr. Sam Beckett begins to time travel within his own lifetime is a theory that has yet to be decisively proved or disproved. Since each episode is set in a different year, nothing looks obsolete.  Instead, you actually feel like you are stepping back into history with the show.  I adore looking back at how things used to be!  

They tackle many issues that were prominent in the time period the episode is visiting. For example, the Watts riots. There are also episodes that are more fluff and fun.  

There is an understanding by the characters, that Sam leaps into these lives to set right a wrong.  He believes it is Divine Providence that brings him to these situations.  Saving lives, catching murders, exposing corruption, restoring relationships, putting someone on a career path that makes a difference are just a few of the "fixes" Sam achieves.

Maybe, I am enjoying it so much because I have never seen it aired anywhere since the original run on TV.  I think that the predominate reason is that it is excellent escapism in a world that is running amok.

If you have access to COZI TV in your area, I heartily recommend this show. You can catch it on Wednesday and Saturday evenings.  

  

14 comments:

  1. Guilty pleasures are things that we should be ashamed of liking. There should be no shame in liking Quantum Leap. That was a quality show. I had no idea that there were repeats airing anywhere. I'll have to check them out and remember when I first saw them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thrilled to see you in on my Leap Love! Another wonderful thing is, since I haven't seen it in SO LONG, it's like seeing the episodes for the 1st time!

      Delete
  2. Barbara, we have Roku. I love the oldies but goodies. Lately I'm watching documentaries on various topics. But science stuff is always my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we used to have satellite TV, I'd often find myself sucked into a documentary!

      Delete
  3. One of my all time favorites. Sadly, don't have access to the reruns. I enjoy reading Time Travel novels, too. I would 'leap' in a heart beat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing about it, Sue, if you leaped, as long as they had sewing machines, you could have a wardrobe that was the bomb for that period!!

      Delete
  4. I never really go into the show I'm afraid. But there are certain series I like to go back and binge watch because they are still so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose that's what I'm doing now. They show two episodes each night it comes on and when it's on that's all I do!

      Delete
  5. I remember the show back in the day. It is fun to re-watch some shows. You come at them from a different perspective. I find I'll laugh at stranger stuff now. And yes.......we do need to escape these days. Have a good rest of the week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my own sense of humor has warped some as I've grown older.

      Delete
  6. I don't know if I COZI TV or not--never heard of it--but that's okay because I own the complete DVD set of Quantum Leap and can watch it whenever I want. In fact I was just thinking the other day that I need to rewatch the series again from beginning to end.

    This is one of my all-time favorite TV shows, in part for the reasons you mentioned and mainly because I love anything time travel related. Glad you are spreading the word about this excellent series of the past.

    Arlee Bird
    A to Z Challenge Co-host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure I've ever seen this but I am intrigued! We do get Cozi TV so I'll definitely check it out! We also have MeTV and are able to watch all the old westerns:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah, Pete watches lots of them. When we are lazy on Saturday especially.

      Delete

So glad you stopped by! Come 'round any time. ~ Barbara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...